The ExOfficio Story
ExOfficio believes that the magic of travel, whether you seek different cultures, epic scenery, or the thrill of the unknown, is a chance to create perspective and vitality by opening your mind to the wonders of the world.
Since 1987, we have celebrated the traveler by crafting garments that allow you to experience the world unhindered. Intelligently designed products with tangible benefits—including the best-selling Give-N-Go® underwear collection and lightweight, wrinkle-free fabrics with bug, sun and water protection—are focused on one goal: comfortable performance.
ExOfficio can be found internationally, online, and in specialty outdoor and travel stores, including five of our own flagship retail stores throughout the U.S.
25 Years of Inventive Design
- September 1, 1986 -- Founded in Seattle, Washington, as De Sar Inc. by Rick Hemmerling and Joe Boldan.
- 1987 The Baja is introduced - a ventilated shirt with lots of pockets that looks good enough to go into town. The Baja is the first "climate control" shirt.
- 1988 The company is rebranded and the ExOfficio name is introduced.
- 1991 We develop our own Nycott fabric to make the first comfortable 100% nylon pant. We are the first to build a brief into a non-elastic waist pant. Backpacker Magazine deems the Amphi pant the "Find of the Year".
- 1991 We begin incorporating our signature hidden security-zip pockets into many pieces to give travelers a safe place to carry valuables.
- 1993 We are the first major company to introduce high performance convertible clothing.
- 1994 We build UV protection into a new shirt, the Air Strip®. It has a unique venting system and is the first synthetic shirt that is as comfortable as cotton but also wicks moisture. We also introduce a 3-position sun collar for adjustable protection from harmful UV rays.
- 1995 Listed on Inc. 500 as fastest growing private company (again in 1996 and 1997).
- 1996 We are one of the first companies to introduce Teflon® coating to make garments water and stain resistant.
- 1997 We invent our indestructible button system to survive the demanding use of daily wear. We also introduce the floating pocket, which has now sold over 250,000 units.
- 2000 We introduce odor-resistant Give-N-Go® performance underwear made of diamond-weave mesh. We also introduce Aegis® Microbe Shield® technology into our garments.
- 2004 We are the first company to introduce EPA registered Insect Shield® insect repellent clothing to the country. Our Bugsaway® collection combines sun protection and insect repellent treatments for maximum outdoor protection. We also begin offering garments made with dri-release® and Freshguard®.
- 2006 We introduce the Irresistible® sweater line. Super soft and wicking performance fabric.
- 2007 Jarden Corp. acquires ExOfficio. Jarden is a leading provider of niche consumer products. ExOfficio is a part of their outdoor solutions branch. Our Tofutech® Tee Shirt wins the Backpacker Magazine Green Gear of the Year Award.
- 2010 Our Storm Logic® convertible jacket wins a Travel Goods Show Innovation Award.
- 2011 We develop our Sol Cool® line with 50 UPF and Ice Fil® technology. We also partner with Cocona® to create our ExoDri® line.